Historic Prairie Point
2 to 6 acre homesites available now in historic Prairie Point, between Liberty Hill and Bertram. Only 30 minutes to Austin City Limits and just one mile from the Williamson County line, The Point is a 242-acre, deed-protected and equine-friendly community which will feature three miles of bridle trails and a lighted outdoor horse arena. With affordable acreage homesites in the Austin metro becoming increasingly rare, The Point is a wise investment both for those ready to build their dream homes immediately and for owners acquiring improved acreage for appreciation and later construction.
Dating back to the 1850’s with the arrival of the first English settlers, Prairie Point maintained its community's identity for over a century. In fact, when The Point’s current owner first acquired the master tract in 1996, it was still occupied by the then 91 year-old great-granddaughter of the original pioneer settler, James Turner Hutto. “J.T.” was a native of Rock Hill S.C., born of a well-established family originally of German descent. He later settled in both Alabama and Mississippi, fought in the Civil War, and moved his family to Prairie Point in the 1870’s. In that era the Huttos and other settlers had established cattle and sheep ranches as well as several family farms.
A community school opened in 1882 and remained in operation until 1921. The Prairie Point Missionary Baptist Church was organized in 1883 and met in the schoolhouse until it burned in 1890. The congregation worshipped in a brush arbor until a new school was erected, then met at the school until 1906, when a new sanctuary was built. The church eventually was disbanded in 1957.
J.T.’s great-granddaughter Juanita Hutto never married and lived almost her entire life on the old pioneer homestead until passing away at age 99. Juanita is remembered as sharp-tongued, but with a wry sense of humor and a clear recollection of her family’s life stories. History buffs will find the graves of many of these early settlers and their descendants, including J.T., Juanita and several other members of the Hutto family, in the nearby Bear Creek Cemetery. Heading into Bertram from The Point, take a hard right off FM 243 onto CR 270 just after the Bear Creek bridge.